Keepsakes

At the outset of my 27-day vacation in Manila last March (to spend time with my brother and his family from New Zealand), I told my nephews and niece that I would take as many photos and videos of them and with them as I could.

My 12-year-old nephew asked why. I told him, "You know, when the vacation's over and we've all gone back to respective corners of the earth, these photos and videos will be all I have of you."

You know the expression "time flies when you're having fun"? It always proves true whenever quality time is spent with the ones dearest to you. That pretty much sums up my time with my three favorite KiwiPino kids. I'm glad that I did take all the pictures and videos I could of them and with them.

Almost a month has passed since we've all parted ways and gone back to our corners of the globe, but every memory of the time spent with my family still lingers lovingly in my heart and mind... and more so on my phone.

Pictures of the night of my cousin's wedding bring a lot of elegant moments to mind as I saw my two teenage pamangkins (vernacular; collective word for 'nephews and nieces') dressed fashionably, looking like the fine young people they are.


Videos like the time my youngest nephew hijacked my attempt to capture the majesty of a newly-opened five-star hotel in Manila help me remember and appreciate the time I spent with my family.


The Ed Sheeran song "Photograph" somehow encapsulates what I'm trying to say in this long-overdue blog entry:

"We keep this love in a photograph. We keep these memories for ourselves."

And for the time being, these will have to do. 

As miles and miles of ocean and land separate loved ones from each other, keepsakes of treasured moments bridge that gap and keep the love alive...

...until the next reunion.

Comments

  1. And regardless of how often (read: everyday!) you Facetime with them, the longing to be where they are and do the same fun things together doesn’t wane. 😢

    (A new post, finally! I thought you’ve forgotten this page. 😂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April proved to be the busiest month in my entire life in ministry. ;) This page was unattended... but not forgotten. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris: Cinquième Partie

One Change. One Chance.

Letdown