The Sermon

I have no idea how other preachers do it,  but I most of the time find composing my 'sermons' very challenging. Perhaps my assumption that a more didactic method might not be as captivating as an impassioned discourse is the main hurdle when I draft my pulpit 'lessons': people do seem to gravitate towards spontaneous, charismatic and fiery preachers.

Another reason for this difficulty in getting a message prepared is the desire to hear what God wants His people to hear for a particular service. I have always tried my best to speak on topics that I sense God is telling me to speak on, so using my spiritual ears becomes a necessary exercise. What slows me down, though, is second-guessing: is this really the topic God wants? Or is this just me wanting to teach on this issue?

Still another challenge is the organization of the ideas and themes of the intended lesson. As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat; and with preaching (or in my case, teaching), there is also more than one way to do it. Finding the right balance between too much and too little scripture references comes to mind. Filtering my own personal agenda from God's intention is also in the mix. Using anecdotes, quotes from famous people, or even excerpts from my own life experiences is another consideration. The list could go on and on.

Like right now. I am trying to prep for a Sunday morning message and I still haven't even organized anything. And it's almost the weekend already.

I felt a desire and a leading to speak on the importance of parental (specifically, paternal) influence in a teenager's life. This comes from years of mentoring teenage boys (now men) and witnessing them struggle through their adolescence mainly because of the (physical and/or emotional) 'absence' of a father. The ideas are already in my head, and I also feel that the Lord wants me speak on this as an encouragement and a challenge to the parents and fathers in church. It's just not coming together yet.

So, yeah. This is your glimpse into a not-so-typical-pastor's debacle with putting words together and capturing God's heart on the matter.

It's still Thursday. Two more days for prepping.

So help me God.

Comments

  1. But you are charismatic! 😉

    Years of listening to pastors preach, I haven’t considered the kind of preparation each sermon entailed. Just, wow! #Respect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes this might involve sleepless nights and cups of coffee. ☕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris: Cinquième Partie

One Change. One Chance.

Letdown