Wrong Buttons

I don't demand much from people, if I do at all. I'm typically easygoing and really not hard to please once you get to know me. Anger doesn't come as easily to me as offense does, but even then a subsequent response comes as a carefully thought out proceeding. I do not hastily respond when I am angry, as I prefer to weigh my words first before launching them from my mouth because once they're spoken, there's no taking them back.

So when people come at me with repeated disrespect and condescension, I think it is but fitting that I put my foot down and speak my mind, especially when blatant disrespect is done repeatedly and in the presence of others.

Never mind that I'm a pastor; that part can be disregarded, as far as I'm concerned. But if the other party can not, will not, or does not have the capacity to exercise good discretion, extend basic honoring to another human, and express respect to a fellow believer, I would most likely be provoked to give them a piece of my mind.

These instances, however, are such rarities in my life. For the most part, I just extend patience and let the misdemeanor pass. At other times, I choose to file certain trespasses away under the "TRIVIAL" or "IRRELEVANT SOURCE" folders. There may also be occasions where I mentally wrestle with an offense and later on just release forgiveness to the offender... for my own peace of mind and well-being. Even when someone really pushes the wrong buttons in me, very seldom do I explode and go berserk... and for that I am glad and grateful. 

My contention in this area has always been the lack of appropriating basic human respect and consideration for the state of others regardless of position, rank or title. The Bible explicitly teaches that: 

"Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves."

"...in humility value others above yourselves."

"Show proper respect to everyone..."

These verses urge us to show respect to each other, to one another, to everyone. They even go as far as telling us to prefer others over our selves.

Talking down to your fellow Christian is not a sign of respect. No matter how intelligent, experienced, or skilled you think you are in any area of life, IN CHRIST you do not have the right to condescend to anyone because all your intelligence, experience and skill are not yours to begin with; these have been gifted to you by God in His infinite grace for the sole purpose of magnifying His holy name; not so you can parade yourself as better than others.

I have always had this thought in my head for the last five years of being an ordained minister: "I don't expect or require you to honor me because of my title as 'pastor'; you can easily fake that (especially in a very religious and position-conscious country). But if you can honor and respect me for simply being a fellow Christian, a child of God created in His image, and your brother in Christ, then that would be very welcomed."

And perhaps there would be no buttons pushed... or if there were, apologies wouldn't be a tug-of-war of who's right and who's wrong.

Comments

  1. Well said. My guess is they probably feel they’re too awesome for mere mortals like us. Sad.

    #PrayingForTheirSoulsForTheSakeOfEveryonesSanity

    ReplyDelete
  2. : I think the person concerned may just simply belong to the "does not have the capacity to exercise good discretion..." category. It was easy to forgive them... harder to sort things out with them... But did so anyway. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris: Cinquième Partie

One Change. One Chance.

Letdown