It's More Fun Being a Filipino

You can choose a lot of things in your life. From the time you are able to form your own thoughts and make decisions for yourself, you can pretty much exercise your right to abide by your preferences -- in clothing, in food, in friendships, in employment, in entertainment, in leisure, in religion, in political affiliation, and so on and so forth.

Life, however, reserves the right to make some choices on your behalf and deals you with certain givens that you do not have a say in. One such given is the family that you are born into. Another is the country wherein that happens.

In my entire life, there have been moments where I wished, perhaps prayed, to have never been born in the Philippines... and to have never become a Filipino at all. That's as honest as I can be about this subject matter.

These thoughts came to me when I was much younger, more inexperienced about life, and reacting to my country of birth and nationality without the benefit of intellect and time. I was ensconced in the middle of intense poverty, great corruption, pervasive traditionalism, and utter religiosity! That was and still is the overall condition of the nation.

But back then, I was seriously short-sighted, terribly naive, and totally anxious and fearful about the future. These were my consistent contemplative constraints.

However, if you grow up in a place like the Philippines, you get to learn about the resilience of your people and how, in the midst of every adversity that comes, your countrymen can still manage to flash a smile and carry on like hardship is the norm... which it is.

And so, I did. I grew up. And I saw.


ADAPTABILITY

I saw the poverty. I still do. But I also saw the flexibility of the Filipino: the ability to sway with the winds of providence or the gusts of scarcity; the resiliency in the aftermath of natural calamities and political disasters; the adaptability to any weather, economic or social setting.

This is so true especially of Filipinos who have been dispersed all over the world. You will find us cozying up with the Inuits in the tundra, exploring the landscape and the wildlife of the savanna, rubbing elbows with the elites in Europe, matching wits and skill in the cultural melting pot of America. You will even find us in places as remote as Te Anau in New Zealand (you can google it!). Filipinos are so adaptable that we are able to seamlessly integrate ourselves into any country, culture, career and climate conditions. I really love the fact that I have this trait running in my veins.


COURTESY

I saw the corruption. I still see it to this day. And for a long time it seemed to be an immovable constant in this country. But after having had the privilege of visiting several other nations in Asia, Europe and Oceania, I have come to see and realize that Filipinos are able to follow rules and submit to the laws of the land. This made me realize that the seemingly inherent corrupt nature of most Pinoys is actually just a twisted and perverted version of one of our national characteristics: respectfulness.

Filipinos have always had the genetic predisposition of being respectful of others and their belongings. We show it to our elders when we make the "mano po" gesture, as a sign of honoring them. We practice it when we make our guests feel very welcome in our homes and take care of almost all their needs. We've displayed it publicly through our "bayanihan" spirit, where we, as one community, help the ones in need.

Corruption is the total opposite of that. Political, economic, and moral corruption completely disregards and disrespects others and their property. We've ended up taking other people's riches and niches, spouses and houses, positions and possessions. And yet, in most cases, Filipinos in other countries have been known to abide by traffic laws, submit to legal processes, and live in harmony with their neighbors. Why not in our own backyard?

Nevertheless, I find this obscured trait of respectfulness a handy Filipino characteristic, especially when surrounded by people from other nations.


PASSION

I saw the religiosity and the legalism of my countrymen. We dial it up to eleven when it comes to pomp and piety. We display a pristine public persona, while potentially coddling a veiled vile visage.

But having somehow matured and received spiritual enlightenment, I saw that underneath the Filipino's love for religion is actually a muddled iteration of a yearning for true worship and devotion to the One True God; that our love for festivities and rituals are the cries of our soul for genuine relationship with our Creator, albeit misdirected and expressed in an unprescribed fashion.

These are the manifestations of the Filipino's passionate nature. It's a passion that loves fully, fights fiercely and serves loyally. And when directed to God and enhanced by the Holy Spirit, these qualities make Filipinos the best, most intense worshipers of Jesus Christ.


WHAT I LOVE ABOUT BEING A FILIPINO

I have come to learn about and appreciate these traits over the last two decades of my life. I have witnessed and experienced how my character has been shaped by Filipino adaptability, courtesy, and passion. They have not only made me a well-rounded individual, but they have also made me (and continue to make me) the best possible version of myself to date.

I now love and appreciate my Filipino nationality. I'm grateful I was born to the brown race. I proudly embrace my skin color, my native heritage, and my national inheritance:


Adaptability


Courtesy


Passion

Comments

  1. “...the ability to sway with the winds of providence or the gusts of scarcity”

    We’re rockstars at adapting to change! The pendular swing of economic conditions in the Philippines makes me seethe. But perhaps, our ability to look adversity in the eye and not blink nor flinch is a direct result of our exposure to it.

    (Beautiful words and so true. You expressed this in a way I wish I did. 👍🏻👍🏻)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris: Cinquième Partie

Letdown

#ChallengeAccepted